Go To Search
Print
Community
Places
Environment
Council
Development
Services
How Do I
Water saving tips
Around 70 per cent of total water used each year is used inside the house, with the remaining 30 per cent used outside, particularly on the garden. Saving water is easy and it can save you money. You could reduce consumption by up to 45 per cent by following some of these suggestions:

Check for leaks
A leaking toilet can waste untold amounts of water. To check for leaks, put some food colouring in your toilet tank. If, without flushing, the colour begins to appear in the bowl the cistern should be repaired.

Most toilet use 12 litres of water per flush. Install a dual flush toilet and use the full flush button only when needed, save over 60 litres a day.

A slow drip from a worn tap washer can waste 200 litres or more of water per day.

Turn off the tap
Turning off the tap while you clean your teeth can save 40 litres a year in a four-person household.

Fill your washing machine
Ensure each wash counts by making sure they are full loads. Every time you run your washing machine you use about 120 litres of water. Every time you use your dishwasher you can use 20 to 60 litres per wash. When buying a new machine or dishwasher, check its water usage details and look for the AAA rating.

Install water saving shower heads or flow restrictors

Many shower heads put out 20 litres of water per minute and 120 litres is considered enough for a cleansing shower. Inexpensive, water-saving shower heads that you can install yourself can be purchased from your local hardware or plumbing supply store. They are also available from time to time through energy saving programs.

Water the roots, not the leaves
Watering the leaves of trees and shrubs increases water loss to evaporation. Giving the garden a quick spray does little for your plants, it makes them shallow rooted and dependant on the small amount of water you provide each day. If you water your plants every fourth day in summer, it encourages the roots to go deeper into the soil to seek out moisture.

Washing the car

Follow the simple steps below and you will have a clean car using minimum water and effort and your lawn will benefit at the same time:

  • park the car on the lawn;
  • give the car a quick spray with the hose to loosen dirt;
  • turn off the hose and wipe away the dirt a section at a time with a sponge soaked in soapy water from a bucket;
  • each time a section has been completed, use a brief spray with the hose and rinse away the loosened dirt and soap; and
  • wipe the car dry with a clean cloth or chamois.

Greywater

Greywater is the waste water from our kitchen sinks, washing machines, laundry tubs, hand basins, spas, the shower and bath. It is a great option for your garden watering because most people have a plentiful supply, it doesn’t rely on rainfall or vary much with seasons, and it reduces your reliance on potable (drinking quality) water.

For practical advice for gardening with greywater and other helpful information, see SaveWater.

For more information regarding greywater, see NSW Office of Water.


Calculate your water use
To help you understand how much water you use in your household and ways that you can use less water, download the Household Water Use Calculator.


Singleton Council
PO Box 314 Singleton NSW 2330
Ph: 02 6578 7290