Go To Search
How Do I
Occupation certificates
What is an occupation certificate?
An occupation certificate allows a person to occupy and use a new building or change the use of an existing building.

An occupation certificate verifies that the Principal Certifying Authority is satisfied that the building is suitable to occupy and/or satisfies the relevant requirements of the National Construction Code (NCC).

What types of occupation certificate are there?
There are two types of occupation certificate, being:

  1. Interim occupation certificate - Authorises occupation or use of a building for a set period of time, on the condition that compliance will be achieved with remaining outstanding development consent/complying development certificate conditions; and
  2. Final occupation certificate - Authorises the occupation and use of a building and indicates that the preconditions to the issue of the certificate, as specified in the respective development consent/complying development certificate, have been met.

Where an Interim occupation certificate is issued, a Final Occupation Certificate is still required to be issued when all outstanding building work or the change of use is complete.

A final occupation certificate supersedes any previously issued occupation certificates. A final occupation certificate is generally required to ensure insurance coverage.

Are Occupation Certificates required for all buildings and building work?
An Occupation Certificate is required for any new building work approved by a construction certificate or complying development certificate, or change of use of a building where the building classification changes under the NCC, that has been approved by way of development consent or a complying development certificate.

Occupation certificates are not required for development that is deemed Exempt Development.

An Occupation Certificate cannot be issued for the occupation or use of a new building more than 12 months after the date on which the building was first occupied or used.

Singleton Council
PO Box 314 Singleton NSW 2330
Ph: 02 6578 7290