Go To Search
How Do I
Vegetation clearing
Vegetation clearing
Clearing is cutting down, felling, thinning, logging, removing, killing, destroying, poisoning, ringbarking, uprooting or burning native vegetation. Clearing includes:

  • Any type of ploughing that kills native groundcover;
  • The under–scrubbing of native forests (including use of wiper-snipers/brush-cutters);
  • Herbicide spray drift that kills or destroys native vegetation;
  • Thinning of native woodlands; and
  • Lopping, topping or significant pruning is also controlled in some instances.

Do I need approval?
Clearing of remnant native vegetation or protected regrowth generally requires approval under the Native Vegetation Act 2003 (the Act).

Catchment Management Authorities are responsible for issueing approvals to clear vegetation under the Act. There are, however, some exemptions from requiring approval in certain specific circumstances.

If you are considering clearing native vegetation on your property, you are advised to contact the Hunter Local Land Services first to determine whether approval is required.

Do I need development consent?
Council's Local Environmental Plan (LEP) identifies some circumstances where development consent is required from Council to remove trees/clear vegetation.

In particular, approval is usually required for tree removal in heritage conservation areas and broadscale vegetation removal in certain land use zones. To apply for development consent to remove a tree you must lodge a development application with Council.

Singleton Council
PO Box 314 Singleton NSW 2330
Ph: 02 6578 7290