Go To Search
How Do I
Unlawful land use & development
Under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act, 1979 it is an offence to carry out development including building works and operating a business without first obtaining development approval. Unauthorised development could result in the issuing of a Penalty Infringement Notice and/or legal action being undertaken.

Examples of development that usually require development approval prior to commencement are:

  • Building works (both internal and external works);
  • Landfilling;
  • Aboveground pools (including the smaller type purchased from the supermarket chains); and
  • Operation of a business.

Prior to starting works persons should check Council's Local Environmental Plan to find out what development is permissible and what is prohibited within a certain land use zone.
There are some minor works that may be carried out without development approval being required. To find out what development may be exempt, see the State Environmental Planning Policy (Exempt and Complying Development Codes) 2008. It is important that the works undertaken on the premises as exempt development comply with all the guidelines stated in the policy.

For clarification on whether works require development approval, please contact Council.

Singleton Council
PO Box 314 Singleton NSW 2330
Ph: 02 6578 7290