Go To Search
How Do I
Property addressing

Clear and unambiguous addressing throughout the whole of Singleton is required to aid identification of properties to visitors, emergency services and postal delivery services.

Address are allocated during the development application process and adhere to the guidelines of the NSW Address Policy (2014) developed and endorsed by the NSW Geographic Names Board. Council is responsible for all new address allocations in the Singleton Local Government Area.

  • Addresses can be assigned to houses, rural properties, shops, parks and even vacant land.
  • Lot numbers (eg Lot 12) do not constitute an address, they are used in the title description of land ONLY (e.g. Lot 12 DP1178564). If you are unsure of your allocated number please contact Council.
  • Address ranges (e.g. 12 - 14) are still valid for old properties, but any new properties must have only a single number (e.g. 2, 4, 6, 6A, 6B, etc) only.
  • Strata dwellings or businesses use complex site addressing in which each dwelling/business has a unit or shop address on the address of the main site (e.g. Unit 1/326 Pioneer Road, Hunterview, Unit 2/326 Pioneer Road, Hunterview are located on 326 Pioneer Road, Hunterview).

Urban addressing of new developments
Houses along urban streets are numbered sequentially with odd numbers along the left side of the street and even numbers along the right side.

New subdivisions are numbered when they are approved. If there are no gaps in the existing numbering system along a road, alpha suffixes (e.g. 7A, 7B, 7C, etc) may be used. These suffixes may be applied in a variety of different methods, dependent on whether there is an existing dwelling within the subdivision.

You can contact Council to discuss addressing your new development at any stage before your development application is approved.

Rural Addressing

Rural address numbers are assigned according to how far down the road a property is from the Council designated start point of the road, with odd numbers on the left side of a road and even numbers on the right.

For example, in the diagram below, the driveway to a property on Bridgman Road is on the left side of the road. The property is 5.53km (5530m) from the start point of the road at the New England Highway. The property is assigned the address 553.

Rural Address Calculation

What do I need to do?

If you are unsure what address your property has been allocated, believe it has been allocated incorrectly, or you wish to discuss changing your property address, please contact Council.

Singleton Council
PO Box 314 Singleton NSW 2330
Ph: 02 6578 7290