Go To Search
How Do I
Useful information for plumbers

The information contained within this section relates to Plumbing and Drainage within the boundaries of Singleton with the exception of some areas of Branxton serviced by Hunter Water Corporation Sewer Rising Main.

For these areas, contact Plumbing Inspection and Assurance Service (PIAS) on 1300 889 099 between 8am and 2pm, Monday to Friday to book an inspection.  See Department of Fair Trading website for more information.

Information for Plumbers and Drainers

Plumbers and Drainers NSW Department of Fair Trading

NSW Fair Trading is the state's single plumbing and drainage regulator for all plumbing and drainage work and has delegated inspection and enforcement powers to Singleton Council within its area of operations.  As part of the plumbing regulatory framework, Fair Trading licences plumbers and drainers under the Home Building Act 1989, and all plumbing and drainage work must be done by a person who holds a licence, qualified supervisor certificate or tradesperson certificate in the appropriate class.  Also, a system of on-site regulation makes sure that NSW plumbing and drainage work is monitored, so it complies with technical standards and regulations.

What does this mean for plumbers and drainers?

Plumbers and drainers must contact their council to book inspections, pay inspection fees, submit documentation and for enquiries with the exception of areas serviced by a Hunter Water Corporation Sewer Rising Main.

Documents and forms

Plumbers and drainers are required to submit the following documents at certain stages of the work:

  • Notice of Work needs to be submitted to the regulator before the work begins
  • Certificate of Compliance needs to be submitted to the regulator and a copy provided to the owner of the land or the owners agent

When must I book an inspection?

Inspections are generally required when:

  • drainage work is finished and before backfilling or covering the installation
  • a connection to a Network Utility Operator sewer main in finished and before backfilling
  • water supply work is finished and before cladding walls and or ceilings
  • when there is a need for re-inspection or for an inspection of non-compliant work
  • at the completion of all the work, ie. a final inspection.

Codes and Standards

The Plumbing Code of Australia (PCA) is the technical standard for all plumbing and drainage work in NSW.  All plumbing and drainage work in NSW must comply with the PCA.  The PCA replaced the more prescriptive NSW Code of Practice for Plumbing and Drainage and other local requirements and allows plumbers to work easily across different regions, without needing to know local variations.  Go the to plumbing code standards and notes  page for more information.

Notice of Work

Plumbers and drainers must submit a Notice of Work (NoW) to Council before starting most plumbing and drainage works.  Circumstances where it does not apply include: emergency work and 'minor works' like replacing tap ware and existing hot water systems, and bathroom renovations where the location of fixtures has not changed.

A NoW is an approved form that outlines the work and who is responsible.

Change of licensee details

Council must be advised if the onsite licensee changes.  If a licensee takes over work both licensees must make sure their NoW and CoC accurately describes the work they have done, or are about to do.  The original licensee will need to arrange a final audit inspection to complete their work.  An updated NoW, Sewer Service Diagram (SSD) and CoC that accurately describes the work completed to date will need to be supplied.  The new licensee must make sure the fee is paid and a NoW is submitted.

Sewer Service Diagram

All Sewer Service Diagrams (SSD), need to be submitted meeting the following specifications:

  • A4 and A3 SSD Templates are available via the Fair Trading website
  • For all drawings larger than A3 only PDF & AutoCAD versions are accepted using the correct Fair Trading SSD legend and sign off template
  • All drawn and required text information on the diagram must be complete and legible in a fine point black pen
  • SSD must be drawn to a scale. Preferred scales are: 1:100; 1:200; 1:250;1:500
  • North point must be shown on the diagram
  • Include only symbols and abbreviations as shown on the template legend
  • All lettering and figures are to be drawn clear and legible
  • Diagrams are only to show sanitary drainage up to the point of connection within the property boundary, property boundaries and building outlines
  • Sanitary drainage layout must be shown up to the point of connection within the property boundary indicating all internal points, external drainage, trade waste and any greywater treatment / diversion system up to the point of connection with the Network Utility Operator’s sewer including any existing sanitary drainage remaining in use on the property
  • Street name and number (for street frontage) and/or Lot number and DP (deposited plan) number
  • Suburb and municipality
  • If there is no connection to a Network Utility Operator’s sewer all documentation must be labelled as private sewer, community title, onsite septic tank or AWTS etc.

The SSD is required to be submitted at the completion of drainage works either prior to or at the time of the final inspection. If for some reason a final inspection does not take place, then the SSD must be submitted to Council within seven (7) working days of the work being completed.

Singleton Council
PO Box 314 Singleton NSW 2330
Ph: 02 6578 7290